Thursday, October 8, 2009

As far as I know, I know nothing about the Internet

Ahh, the multiple wonders of the Internet...
Keeps me learning every day about new things.

I could never: find a solution to your complex internet pr
oblems...

I'm amazed at all the geek helpers you can find on forums such as commentçamarche or geekstogo http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forums.html etc.. I know I could never be one.
And I benefitted from their help a countless number of times. Just a few days ago as a matter of fact.
The really frustating thing that happened to me is that my sound suddenly switched off from all my internet applications, be it Youtube, Dailymotion of Surfthechannel but not from my Windows applications! I could listen to Itunes and Windows media for example! I tried everything I could to restore the sound but the problem was clearly out of my league and I found a very complex solution by browsing these different geek forums. The people there who can indicate all these edgy numbers, and know your computer better than you do, they're impressive.
It's a gift!
So just when I'm starting to think I'm really becoming a geek, this puts me back in place. (sigh)

I could never be: a hacker

I should'nt say it but I'm a big admirer of hackers. Having power over the Internet must be tremendously exciting! Here's wikipedia's definition of a hacker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(computer_security)
Of course there are the "mean" hackers who will launch worldwide viruses that will kill your computer as was the case with the "I love you" virus in 2001. O
thers will use their powers for cybercrime purposes, stealing credit card passwords etc... Here is a list of the most deadly computer viruses known to this day: http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?chapter=153311184
But what I really find fascinating about these people is that they are just normal, anonymous people, sitting behind their computers with the power to l
iterally turn the world upside down.
They are part of the people who can inflict real damage to multinational companies by creating a whole new operating system for computers: Linux, ready to take on the Microsoft mon
opoly.
They are also the only ones able to create bugs on Google for a few hours, getting hotmail and g-mail to send crazy emails among users, breaking into the Pentagon or CIA files. No wonder some end up being hired by the FBI. Having a hacker with you is much better than having one against you. And no wonder they steal the spotlight in TV shows such as 24. Hacker characters are fascinating, complete geniuses of the web, for whom t
he html language has no secrets. (Sigh again) In a way, I wish I could do that too.

I just found out about: E-Learning


One thing I just got to know about is E-Learning. Here's the definition given to this new p
ractice of the web: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Learning
Well E-Learning is kind of what my english class and I have been doing since the beg
inning of the semester. My assignments are all defined on the web (twitter, my video resume on Youtube and of course this blog) and our teacher is far away from us (somewhere in the South of France), giving us our lessons by webcam.
I never thought I would get to learn english that way!

E-Learning is a new trend but it's also becoming an essential educational practice.
It's just arriving in France but it has been there for quite some time in the US.
I went to school in the US for 3 years
and I remember being in 6th grade when the first "smartboard" arrived in my school. This incredible tool looked like perfect magic to us kids. Just think of an electronic screen which will obey you in every way. All you need to do is touch the screen, just like a gigantic cell phone. Having personally experienced the smartboard, I think this e-learning tool made everything more interesting for the kids that we were, catching our attention more properly and for the teachers, without a doubt.
Despite its price, it will probably be a great part of e-le
arning future all over the world. To learn more about this tool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_Board_interactive_whiteboard

Another example can show just how e-learning came to be essential. Lately, even the famed video website youtube has created a channel dedicated to e-learning: it is called Youtube Edu. This snapshot shows you what land on when you follow the Youtube Edu link: http://www.youtube.com/education?lg=fr&b=1&t=m


Ok this picture is blurred..but what you can see when you do go on the website is that schools like HEC have already invested this space!! Professionnal advice is also available on the website. As a communication school, the Celsa should react! Youtube Edu needs us too!




No comments:

Post a Comment